Image Map

16 October 2013

Apple Pumpkin Bread

I have been wanting to make pumpkin bread for the longest time but I knew I should wait until Thanksgiving so I could use half of my 30oz can of pumpkin for pumpkin pie. Finally it was close enough to Thanksgiving that I could pull out the can of pumpkin I had sitting in my pantry for longer then I would like to admit. I was gathering all my ingredients when I glanced at this candle I had recently purchased from Bath and Body Works. I decided that it would be a good idea to incorporate some apples into my pumpkin bread because if they made a candle out of the two then hey it must be good right? Plus I have way more apples then I know what to do with since I went apple picking and you can only have so much apple pie. So off I went to the internet to find an apple pumpkin bread recipe. I found this one from Heather Homemade and liked the idea of the crunchy topping but decided to swap a few of the ingredients to really bring out the fall flavour. I am really happy with the way it turned out and it makes for a great breakfast or snack.  Oh and did I mention I made it all in one bowl. Yup! My kind of recipe!

I may have started eating this piece before I took the photo. Oops. 


Pumpkin Apple Bread

Adapted from Heather Homemade
 
For the Crunchy Sugar Topping
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened 
 
For the Bread
3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
4 large eggs
2 cups of pumpkin puree
1/2 cup apple sauce
1 cup sugar
1 cup of packed brown sugar
2 cups chopped apple ( I used a mix of the apples I picked)
 
For the topping, blend flour, sugar, cinnamon and butter in a small bowl with your finger tips, until mixture resembles coarse meal or sand. Set aside until ready to use.
Place oven rack in the middle of the oven. Heat to 350 degrees-F. Butter two 8.5 x 4.5 inch pans.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger. 
Lightly beat in the eggs. Whisk in pumpkin, apple sauce and sugar. Stir until just well combined. Fold in the apples. Divide batter between prepared loaf pans. Sprinkle half of the topping evenly across each loaf.
Bake until a wooden toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 60-70 minutes. Cool loaves in pans on rack for 45 minutes, then turn out on rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
The bread can be wrapped in plastic wrap and then foil, and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week, or the freezer for up to one month.


1 comment:

  1. I am OBSESSED with all things pumpkin! I just had pumpkin cinnamon gelato and it was delicious! This looks incredible though -- I definitely know what my next baking project will be :)


    xx
    MER


    www.friendswithdistance.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stoping by!