Image Map

15 August 2012

University: What to Expect Part Two

The summer before first year I tried to find everything I could about going away for University and what it was really like. I wanted advice and I wanted the perspective of a real girl, some who actually was going through University at the time. It was hard to find, sure many magazines give advice but none of it seemed real or relatable. I have decided to share some of my advice and experience here. It is limited and is solely based on my experience and I am by no means an expert. If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment or email me. Once again these are my own personal experiences that I am sharing, so please keep that in mind.

If you missed Part 1 click here!

Classes
You  have probably heard it before but I am going to say it again. University classes are very different from high school classes. Many of the first year classes are huge and depending on your school they can be upwards of 600 or 700 people. The professors do not know who you are and they will  not notice if you are not there. That being said, GO TO CLASS. Seriously. It is so easy to think you can miss a class here or there but the only person you are hurting by doing that is yourself.

Studying 

Find a study space that works for YOU.  I hate hate hate studying at the library. Many people think I am crazy but the main two libraries are either a) too busy b) too loud c) too quiet.  (Libraries have different floors depending on the need of the student, some are group study floors, others are silent floors). Personally in many of the libraries on campus I find them uncomfortable to study in. There is one smaller library that I do enjoy studying at since it is the right amount of noise for me to study effectively.  Remember libraries aren't the only place to study. Empty classrooms, coffee houses, or tables in hallways are all good options. Find a place that you are comfortable in.

Many of the first year exams (and second year for that matter) are multiple choice. You will learn to have a love hate relationship with them.  Multiple multiples are evil things that you have to learn to overcome (or at least I did). There is a bit of a learning curve with multiple choice, they are not everyone favourite that is for sure. One thing I found was I had to adjust my study habits and think more critically about the material then I had to in high school.

Clubs 

Your university will most likely have a Clubs Week. If it was anything like the one I went to in first year you will find it overwhelming. My advice is to join clubs that you are interested in but do not join too many. Often many of the clubs have pricey registration fees and you don't end up attending enough meetings to make it worth your while.
Clubs also allow you the opportunity to meet people who share your interests who you would not have met otherwise.  Take advantage of this, become friends with upper year students. Its a great way to receive advice about what courses you should take and are great sources of Used Textbooks.




Hope you found this series helpful. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
-Jaclyn

1 comment:

  1. Reading these is making me sad... now I want to be in school more, haha.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stoping by!