Image Map

4 December 2012

Homesick


5 Ways to deal with being HOMESICK



  • Do something new - something you cant do at home
  • Exercise - distract your mind with something else
  • Watch your favourite movie
  • Call a friend or family member from home 
  • Make some tea and grab your journal 

The feeling of homesickness strikes at random times. For me its when I am in places that remind me the most of home. Going to the mall or the movies often bring on the biggest waves of homesickness for me.  Malls and movie theatres for the most part are very similar and they always remind me of the ones I frequent at home. One time I was at the movies with some friends from school and something in the movie reminded me of an inside joke with one of my friends from home and I turned to tell her and much to my surprise she wasn't there. I forgot for a second that I was away from home and in a whole other city because the theatre seemed so familiar to me.


There were times when I was surrounded by people but I never felt so alone. I was homesick for: the people who knew me best, my family and friends. The people who I had a history with. Those who could just take one look and know that something was wrong. But I realized that with friends from home we too once did not have a history. We too were just starting out. It takes time to build relationships and now I have people who really know me and who I feel comfortable around at University too.  Going away to University was one of the best decisions I ever made but it is a double edged sword. Now no matter where I am I am always missing someone or something. When I am home I miss my friends at University and my freedom. When I am at school I miss my family and friends at home.  The start of second year was the worst for me homesick wise. I was actually living on my own (well with a roommate) but not in Rez anymore. That for me was a HUGE adjustment, there were no longer people around all the time to distract me from my homesick feelings. I found ways to deal with my homesickness and still have a wonderful time in second year. This year it was nice to go back to school and see all of my friends and while I do sometimes get homesick still its not as bad as it was last year and I know that it will past. 

How do you deal with being homesick? 
- Jaclyn

1 comment:

  1. I think there will be a lot of people who identify with how you are feeling. I have a free self help framework to help students with homesickness. Find it at www.problemgone.co.uk and there is help in assisting you in identifying the best way forward based on your individual experience of the problem. All the best. Christine Black

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stoping by!